The present project is submitted by the School of business administration (HEG) – Geneva. It proposes to develop an internet-based CAL package for students in economics and in dentistry. Its goal is to teach students how to utilize the information resources provided by university libraries in a systematic and efficacious manner. This applies to all types of electronic or written media: dictionaries, reference books, web sites and/or electronic journals.
In consideration of the abundant supply of scientific information, it is of prime importance to prepare students to
- understand and qualify their information needs
- acquire a working knowledge of available information resources in the field of economics and dentistry
- conduct efficacious retrieval searches
- critically appraise and utilize the information retrieved.
The present CAL package is primarily targeted at the following groups:
- Second years students in economics and third year students in dentistry. The prime objective being to familiarize the students with the information resources in the field of economics (dentistry) and to teach them the methodologies relevant to information retrieval. This expertise will be helpful to each individual during his/her studies and during his/her professional career as well.
- Second year students in information science. The package will provide these students with the essentials of the information resources in economics and serve as a foundation for their future activity as reference librarians.